Most homeowners are not fully knowledgeable in the best ways to properly care for their homes, especially when it comes to their dirty ductwork. But home air duct cleaning doesn’t have to be one of the things you spend a lot of time on training and learning how to do it.
Tools You Will Need To Clean Your Air Ducts
Here are the following necessary tools that you need to complete the air duct cleaning services efficiently and thoroughly:
- Furnace filter
- Power drill
- Cleaning Cloth
- Paper towels
Different Types of Vents
If you are a new homeowner, you might not know or understand that every home has different kinds of vents. The easy way to identify each type is using the tissue test. If you put a tissue on the vent and it sticks, it is a return duct where the vent brings back the air to the HVAC system. If the tissue doesn’t stick, it is the supply vent, which blows out warm or cool air from the HVAC system.
DIY Duct Cleaning: The Guide
- Remove the screws from the covers and grill plates.
- Cover your supply vents with a paper towel.
- Set “Fan On” on your thermostat.
- Using the handle of your brush, tap on any accessible ductwork in your basement to loosen clumps of dust inside.
- Clean the supply registers by sweeping out the dust using the vacuum hose. Then, use a damp cleaning cloth to clean the interior as far as you can go.
- Clean the return registers one-by-one with the brush and vacuum.
- Clean each duct cover and grill plates before reassembling.
- Change the dirty filters with a new one.
DIY Duct Cleaning Risks
- You may risk tearing your ducts, especially if it is a flex duct. You have to be extra careful not to tear them, even poke a small hole, as it will reduce the airflow and drive your utility bills.
- You may deliver less effectively, as you won’t be as effective as a professional air duct cleaning provider.
If you suspect your air ducts to have mold, dust, or dirt, have it checked to verify by a professional. Only HVAC duct cleaning service providers have the expertise and knowledge to remove harmful contaminants inside your ductworks. They also possess the right equipment to get even the hard-to-reach areas that your house vacuum cannot reach.
Should you require professional and efficient air duct cleaning service, contact the professionals at Mont Blanc Air Duct Cleaning today! Also, we offer dryer vent cleaning and commercial duct cleaning services that are second to none. Have peace of mind knowing that we will clean your ductworks thoroughly, leaving no dust behind, and improve your indoor air quality for a better, healthier, and cleaner home air to breathe!
To learn more about Mont Blanc Air Duct Cleaning and how we can help you, give us a call today (833) 542-0303!